Conference Day One - Site Visit
Tuesday, September 24th, 0019
· Discussing the viability of OPVs as a battle fleet asset and the potential strategic benefits of further weaponisation
· The survivability question vs discussions into the correct degree of lethality
· The benefits of patrol vessel modularity and the tactical advantage it brings to warfighting
In recent years the importance of OPVs has increased dramatically and the responsibility of ensuring security and projecting sea power has extended beyond military forces to Coast Guards and Law Enforcement. In order to maintain security and sovereignty in contested waters this versatile platform is the first line of defence against growing tensions and will be the basis for the first geostrategic panel discussion of OPV International 2019.
This panel discussion will cover:
· How have patrol vessels provided the most effective way to uphold security in East Asia and what are the critical capabilities that allow this platform to do so effectively?
· What, if any, capability gaps has growing tensions in East Asia revealed and how are OPV deployments being adjusted to account for this?
· How will growing tensions affect the requirements for patrol vessels from East Asian nations?