Conference Day One - Site Visit
Tuesday, September 24th, 0019
12:00 PM THE PHILIPPINE NAVY’S TEN YEAR PLAN TO IMPROVE SECURITY AROUND ITS VAST MARITIME TERRITORIES
· Focusing naval strategy around the acquisition of new corvettes, submarines and OPVs
· Key requirements and essential capabilities for the Philippine Navy’s new fleet of patrol vessels
· Both current and predicted security concerns and the steps that are being taken to respond effectively through this ten year plan
In recent years the importance of OPVs has increased dramatically and the responsibility of ensuring security and projecting sea power has extended beyond military forces to Coast Guards and Law Enforcement. In order to maintain security and sovereignty in contested waters this versatile platform is the first line of defence against growing tensions and will be the basis for the first geostrategic panel discussion of OPV International 2019.
This panel discussion will cover:
· How have patrol vessels provided the most effective way to uphold security in East Asia and what are the critical capabilities that allow this platform to do so effectively?
· What, if any, capability gaps has growing tensions in East Asia revealed and how are OPV deployments being adjusted to account for this?
· How will growing tensions affect the requirements for patrol vessels from East Asian nations?