8:30 - 9:00 REGISTRATION AND COFFEE
9:00 - 12:00 WORKSHOP A: NON-LETHAL DIRECTED ENERGY SYSTEMS IN MILITARY AND CIVILIAN SETTINGS
Non-Lethal Directed Energy Systems (NLDES) have long been subject of research and testing. A limited range of systems have been deployed in real world operations, both in a military-civilian and in a law enforcement context. Whilst their value has been demonstrated in numerous operational settings, NLDES are a topic of much debate, given their wide-ranging applicability on the one hand and legal, moral and safety concerns on the other.
Led by an expert from the European Non-Lethal Weapon community, this workshop will explore the outlook of NLDES, including new concepts that potentially will be fielded in the near future.
By attending this workshop, you will:
· Understand the current and emerging capabilities and requirements of Non-Lethal Weapons, with a focus on NLDES
· Gain insight into DEW that are being used on the field, the lessons learned, and how current and future projects and programmes may exploit operational experiences
· Gain an insight into the future development of NLW’s, and the issues to be overcome in promoting their acceptance, technically, operationally as well as morally
Gain an insight into scenario’s both from the military-civilian and homeland security domain that call for the application of NLDES
Sjef Orbons, Ph.D.Consultant
Netherlands Military Police
12:00 - 13:00 NETWORKING LUNCH
13:00 - 16:00 WORKSHOP B: INTEGRATING LASER DIRECTED ENERGY WEAPONS INTO LAND, SEA AND AIR PLATFORMS
Research and experimentation into the integration of directed energy systems onto existing land, sea and air platforms is of principle importance in the effort to create fully operational DES.
Led by dedicated DES platform integration specialists, this workshop will explore the current and future issues relating to DES platform integration.
By attending this workshop you will learn about:
· The complexity of creating an effect at a target using lasers
· How modelling and simulation can help to determine key design drivers for integrated systems
· Some of the key integration issues and explore how these may be addressed
There will also be the opportunity to discuss with Platform Integration Specialists areas such as SWaP-C, the differences in integration between different military domains, and other pressing issues.
Keith A. Rigby CEng FIETPlatform Integration Consultant – LDEW
Sanjit MatharuModelling, Simulation and Analysis Lead