Pre-Conference Workshops - Monday, 2 December 2019
9:00 am - 12:00 pm Workshop A: FORGING CYBER RESILIENCE IN MARITIME SECURITY
As maritime defence environment becomes increasingly reliant on technology and internet-based communications, cyber-attacks have emerged as a serious 21st century security concern. Cybersecurity Ventures predicts global spending on cyber security products and services will exceed USD 1 trillion cumulatively from 2017 to 2021.
Today, the nature of threat is changing and governments have begun to experience highly sophisticated and complex attacks that attempt to highjack defence control systems and fleet navigation, hacking into satcom networks, and malware on software systems. The vulnerabilities within these essential systems present an open door and it is probably only a matter of time before an attacker walks through, with potentially devastating consequences.
Benefits of Attending:
· Managing the increasing number of cyber-attacks in today’s digital age and its escalating impact on systems and data
· Role of regional and international cooperation in cybersecurity
· Reviewing latest technological innovations to improve cyber resilience
· Reviewing experiences of countries and defence organisations in cyber defence and lessons learnt
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Workshop B: DISRUPTIVE TECHNOLOGY FOR DEFENCE TRANSFORMATION
Today, defence forces and security agencies have to deal with diverse and complex missions, ranging from counter-terrorism to cybersecurity and hybrid warfare. Innovative concepts of operation will be required. The development and sustenance of defence and security capabilities are correspondingly getting increasingly difficult and challenging. Deciding on the technologies to invest in and transitioning them quickly to the forces is no small feat.
This workshop explores how new innovations in digital technology are transforming the maritime security sector, ushering in a fourth industrial revolution. It also offers an efficient and inspiring way to get latest insights into smart technologies.
Benefits of Attending:
· How smart technology and 4th IR are reshaping maritime security and defence
· Can smart and secure technology co-exist
· AI; smart sensors; intelligent data analysis; fully autonomous operations - how these game-changing capabilities flags out potential threats and derives useful insights
Capt. Tuan N. PhamResearch Fellow with Advanced Research Program at U.S. Naval War College