Conference Workshop Day - Jan 29 2019
9:30 am - 11:30 am SOCIAL MEDIA: THE SECOND FRONT OF CYBER WARFARE?
The role of social media as a tool to shape national and international politics and policy has evolved significantly in recent year, becoming one of the main information sharing platforms for the developed world. With over 3 billion social media users worldwide, the potential influence of social media is unprecedented.
With major concerns of social media vulnerabilities and the potential use of these platforms for disinformation spreading and political distortion, cyber defence operators are faced with major challenges to ensure civilians and soldiers are protected from subversive influencers across social media, without compromising on individual freedoms.
This session will focus on how social media has impacted the cyber operator, and what this will mean for military and government cyber operators in the future.. Key topics that workshop participants will focus on include:
· How social media has changed the cyber domain
· The approach to security within social media companies
· The remit of government cyber regulators within private organisations
· Demonstrate the impact of social media in influencing and changing population mentality
· Demonstrate how a cyber secure culture mitigates the risk from cyber attack
By attending this workshop, you will be able to;
· Understand and outline the impact of social media to the cyber operator and the wider civilian population
· Effectively engage your cyber policy to align with social media challenges
· Build a robust means of monitoring social media to identify and manage security concerns