Lieutenant Colonel Jeffrey Forde
Director of Operations and Plans
Regional Security System
HA/DR Focus Day - 26 March
Tuesday, March 26th, 2019
• Overview of the RSS Mission to ensure the stability and well-being of Member States through mutual cooperation, in order to maximize regional security in preserving the social and economic development of our people
• The RSS was created out of a need for a collective response to security threats, which were impacting on the stability of the region in the late 70’s and 80’s.
• In October, 1982 four members of the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) (Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, St. Lucia and St. Vincent and the Grenadines) signed a MOU with Barbados to provide for mutual assistance on request.
• This gave rise to the birth of the RSS. St. Kitts and Nevis became a signatory in February, 1984 and Grenada in January, 1985.
• The Treaty establishing the RSS was signed at St. George’s, Grenada on 5 March 1996 replacing the MOU. The System has the status of an international organisation and enjoys legal personality